This workshop works on the principle that Education and Caring together create an atmosphere of healing and change. It is not therapy in the traditional western medical sense of cause and effect, but it is highly therapeutic. It is about seeing the healing process as an equal partnership, where the teacher and the taught create the learning.
It is about creating a safe atmosphere of change where the relationship is just as important as the methods. It is about Deep Listening, respect and care and guiding those you are working with towards making their own healthy choices building from the strengths that they already have.
Objectives of the workshop
The workshop objectives are to establish principles of practice, using mindfulness in self-care and in the development of communities of care, and communities of practice in all trauma recovery work. On completion of this workshop participants should be able to:
- Create a Culturally Safe Service Delivery Model.
- Create a Culturally Informed Trauma Integrated Healing Practice.
- Help your client to develop self-awareness.
- Help your client to develop emotional-regulation.
- Help your client understand the benefits of self-care.
- Help your client to build a safe grassroots family support network and community social network that is self-sustaining.
- Help your client learn and practice respectful parenting strategies based on caring and kindness with the best interests of the child at heart.
About the artwork:
Leadership by example, knowledge and nurturing of our children depicted here as a major part of positive parenting. Transgenerational strengths in positive parenting through definite pride, identity, beliefs, culture and self, passing on through to their children’s children and beyond the barriers of past practices and policies that disempowered many Indigenous families.
© Artwork and narration by Christopher Edwards- Haines